The Fourth of July is where many Americans take advantage of this summertime holiday to celebrate with family and friends by the back-yard barbecues and get-togethers.
Another traditional activity included in celebration of the Fourth of July is the use of fireworks. The safest way to enjoy fireworks is to attend a public fireworks display.
Still yet, many of us buy fireworks each year for the enjoyment of our families and friends. This enjoyment can be spoiled if the proper precautions are not taken to avoid injuries. Here are a few safety tips to remind you of the proper respect and use of fireworks:
- Always read and follow label directions
- Have an adult present
- Buy from a reliable firework sellers
- Ignite outdoors
- Have water handy
- Never experiment or attempt to make your own fireworks
- Light one at a time
- Never re-ignite malfunctioning fireworks
- Never give fireworks to small children
- Store in a cool, dry place
- Dispose of properly
- Never throw fireworks at another person
- Never carry fireworks in your pocket
- Never shoot them in metal or glass containers
Any questions you may have on firework safety may be directed to the Ouachita Parish Fire Department's Fire Prevention Bureau at (318) 325-1621. The Ouachita Parish Fire Department wishes you a safe and happy Fourth of July!!